[lit-ideas] Re: Vanunu's Secret

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:35:45 EDT

<<1." Israel is not a member of the NPT". >>
Are you equating Israel with North Korea, e.g., in relationship to its level
of threat?  If you believe Israel's level of threat to be anything but
*defensive* and in proportion to the level of threat that surround it, please
give me
evidence of the peace making going on in the 22 virulently Jew-hating Arab
countries poised on Israel's flanks.

<<2. "It has a recent history of aggression against other countries, an
on-going pattern of violent behavior, and general defiance of international
norms
and opinion." >>

The Arab countries threatening Israel have initiated 5 wars and aided in two
'Intifadas'.  Allow me to supply a definition from the 'Non-apologist's
Dictionary of ---'Intifada'.--- A bloody uprising by terrorists aimed at
murdering
and maiming *soft targets*:  children, women and the elderly. The targets of
the Intifada are randomly chosen without consideration of threat level. If you
really want me to go into international norms and opinions I would be happy to.
Would you like me to start with on-going slavery, or the attitude of general
anti-semitism as evidenced by the wide spread acceptance of the 'Protocols of
the Elders of Zion'  and general 'conspiracy paranoia' that pervades most
inter-Arab discussion of Israel in the MiddleEast.

<<3. It is situated in a region where nobody else has
nuclear weapons, which disturbs the regional balance
both by opening the possibility of uni-lateral use and
by creating the need or pre-text for others to seek
their own nuclear weapons.>>

Omar, are you serious?  Do you really believe that Israel is standing there
waving the saber of nuclear warfare at the hostile Arab countries that surround
it?  Israel's nuclear weapons, as you well know, are purely defensive.  If
Israel were not besieged by aggressive countries that have displayed "an
on-going pattern of violent behaviour," Israel would be happy to debate its
opponents
to death (and believe me, they are capable).  Is it your belief that were
Israel to voluntarily renounce its nuclear program, that Libya, Iran, Egypt,
Syria, etc. would suddenly lose all interest in developing such programs?  They
only desire wmd's because Israel has some?  I suspect rather that their only
desire is to be able to win a military confrontation with Israel -- too many
Imams preaching that the "pigs" (Jews) must be pushed into the sea.  This is an
environment of hostility, regardless of how benevolent and friendly individual
Arabs are.  (I'm thinking of the dialogue between Steve & Andreas here; I have
several very good friends who are Arab -- from Iran, Kuwait, etc.  I
absolutely agree that individual Arab people whom I know are hospitable in the
extreme,
warm, friendly, etc.  The collective "Arab world" is not so much so toward
the nation of Israel).

Re. the Jewish lobby whose enormous power in America worries you so, to me it
speaks more to paranoid delusions of Jewish omnipotence than it does any
actual power by Jewish lobbying groups.  The Evangelical Christian block might
be
one to worry more about.  After all, they are also enthusiastic about
proselytizing whatever areas of the ME they can get a toe-hold in.

Julie