[lit-ideas] Re: "Vanitas Vanitatum"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:30:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/2004 10:52:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cmharris@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  Oxford Companion to English Literature claims: " Thackeray, Willaim
Makepeace, 1811-63, of a Yorkshire yeoman family, was born in Calcutta,
where his father held office as a collector"...
Anglo Indian in this  case I believe is used to mean one of the British
families who settled in  India.

----

For the record, here below the quotes from the OED for  'Anglo-Indian'.

Ceri writes:

>Thackeray was born in Calcutta
>where his father held office as a collector.

Interestingly, Calcutta features in one of the OED cites -- dated  1907:

"Calcutta..merits the epithet of Anglo-Indian better  than anything else in
India."

I don't know much of Thackeray's mother, but I guess she should have lived
in India longer than Thackeray's father for Thackeray to _count_ as an
Anglo-Indian. Cf. a 1934 cite: 'the term â??Anglo-Indianâ?? used to be applied
to people
of British birth who  had lived long in India.'

And Cf. the quote:

1929 Cowley Evangelist June 134

"A congregation of Indian,  Anglo-Indian and European people, all happily
joining together."

--- Back in Thackeray's time, that congregation  could have included
Thackeray's father (an European), and two Anglo-Indians  (Thackeray and
Thackeray's
mother?) and the Indian maid or servant they may have  had in the household.

Cheers,

JL

----

1826 J.  MALCOLM Polit. Hist. India 1784-1823 II. xi. 248

The mixed population of  Calcutta, Madras and Bombay, made up of European
Half Castes, or Anglo-Indians.

1842 Ainsworth's Mag. II. 63

He had been at Massorie, that  sanatorium of Anglo-Indians.

1845 E. ACTON Mod. Cookery (ed. 2) xiv. 288

We think..the proportion of onion  and garlic by one half too much for any
but well seasoned Anglo-Indian palates.

1847 Howitt's Jrnl. 30 Jan. 67/2

The transmission of the  Anglo-Indian mails.

1861 SWINHOE  N. China Camp. 153

The Chinese Tsaou, called  Bier by the Anglo-Indians, is a somewhat
cylindrically shaped fruit.

1907 Westm. Gaz. 11 Dec. 2/1

Calcutta..merits the epithet of  Anglo-Indian better than anything else in
India.

1929 Cowley Evangelist June  134

A congregation of Indian,  Anglo-Indian and European people, all happily
joining together.

1929 Church Times 14 June 726/4

The Archdeacon of Madras said  that the Anglo-Indian, and particularly the
lower class of Anglo-Indian, was the  crux of the whole question.

1934 S.P.E. Tract XLI. 21

The term â??Anglo-Indianâ??  used to be applied to people of British birth who
had lived long in India. In  1911 the Government of India decided to substitute
â??Anglo-Indianâ?? for â??Eurasianâ??  as the official term for those of mixed
descent.

1941 O'MALLEY Mod. India & West xv.  552

Anglo-Indian  literature is really a subject in  itself.