[lit-ideas] Re: Values, a penny each.

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 01:05:00 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 8/2/10, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > "Every generation
> > puts a hero on the pop charts," as Simon and
> Garfunkel
> > sang.  Yes, indeed.
>
> No, actually. It was just the tiny one, minus his frizzball
> friend, who so sang in "Boy In The Bubble". And I think it
> was "up the pop charts". But no matter.

According to
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/paul+simon/the+boy+in+the+bubble_20105881.html

the actual lyric is

"It's a turn-around jump shot
It's everybody jump start
It's every generation throws a hero up the pop charts"

The use of "throws...up" is deliberate and does perhaps matter. Though I note
Geary's paraphrase contains a "puts...on" that might be said to work in a
similar way.

Donal
Failing to act like Dylan in the movies
Dept. of Narcissism Of Small Differences
Vanity Fair
England