[lit-ideas] Re: Values, a penny each.

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:36:10 -0800

I thought of you, Mike as I wrote that.  I not only wondered whether there
was a place for the benighted fellows who claimed to be military heroes -
without risking their lives or even be in military service.  I also wondered
where you might fit and decided you were a sort of Esch - not the frenetic
actual Esch - but a cynical one who had his little selection of made-up
values that he takes out privately from time to time to revere.  Knowing
that few or none will agree with his selection, he makes light of them -
jokes about them and only displays his passion when someone else stands up
and says "wait.  Wait.  Here is another value worth preserving."  Mike looks
at his little store of secret values, doesn't find it and excoriates this
throwback, this Neanderthal, this Fascist, this Heideggerian, for claiming
values which aren't . . . well . . . progressive

Give me a one and a two and a . . .

The Chief Anarchist sings,

Let us all praise disintegration,

There is nothing that last