[lit-ideas] Re: Valid-Some Thoughts

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:03:34 -0330

I'm not clear why John McC asks for yet further articulation of the "logic"
underlying transcendental claims after all that has been said on this matter
over the past couple of weeks, at least. Most recently I offered as an example
of a transcendental claim the one Rorty makes in the quotation John offered us
... yesterday I think it was. I also briefly outlined the logic underlying
Rorty's claim. Part of that logic involves the performative self-contradiction
Rorty's claim displays - a feature which renders his claim false.

For the record, I can't recall ever saying that I knew, or was confident in
knowing, the "Truth." Indeed I don't even understand what it means to say that,
either in attribution or self-description. (Religious views were always
unintelligible to me philosophically. Though I appreciate the aesthetics of
certain religious celebrations, narratives and liturgies.) And it should be
said that I have stood corrected many times; indeed some claim I only stand in
order to be corrected.

John offers us an interesting biographical sketch, and I'm sure we are all
grateful to him for such convivial disclosure. But biography has no epistemic
relevance to philosophical argument, as far as I can see. It may help to
explain how one comes to hold a set of beliefs, but no justification of
judgement or action is possible via such description/recitation.

Walter O
MUN