[lit-ideas] Re: Valid-Some Thoughts

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:23:31 -0330

For some time now, I have wondered what exactly the allure of Rorty's writing
was all about. He was a very articulate writer, no doubt, and very well-versed
in the major texts of a number of philosophical fields. But it is specifically
his attraction to people outside of philosophy that intrigues me - students of
history, sociology and literature, for example. Is it that he is basically
saying what many of us intuitively believe to be the case, but rendering it in
prose more rhetorically elegant and philosophically informed than we are able
to produce ourselves?

In my teaching, I have for some time now simply come to assume that my
classrooms were populated by a multidude of Rorty clones and that my primary
philosophical task was to disabuse them of their contingently acquired Rortain
beliefs and dispositions.

Walter O
MUN