[lit-ideas] Re: Up to the End of History

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 05:10:49 -0230

You no doubt did good work on Dr. Brandom, Robert.  Too bad I couldn't have been
there; I was a precocious 14 year old who preferred to read Lon Fuller and
Dworkin to reading Spiderman comics.  Athough to this day I have a soft spot
for Spidey. Brandom's book, *Heidegger's Pragmatism,* is a wonderful piece of
critical commentary on the early Heidegger. I'm convinced he understand what
Heidegger was trying to say better than Heidegger himself did. Perhaps Ryle was
in that same boat. (Claim duly licensed by Gadamer's hermeneutics.) Essential
reading before tackling Brandom's *Making It Explicit.*

I just realized that those claims assume that I too understand what H was up to
better than he himself did. There's a (hopefully valid) syllogism there
somewhere.

Basking in the temporary peace before the deluge of drafts from students,

Walter O

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php