[lit-ideas] Re: Up from poverty...

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 12:21:20 +0900

On 5/4/06, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So many numbers...
I clearly remember when my father made $7,000 a year.   I was maybe 11
or so, and I remember thinking (gasp...maybe saying) that I didn't feel
that I got my $1,000 out of that (there were seven of us in the
family).  Remember "Kids Say The Darnedest Things"?

And then when I first came to Canada, I worked as a file clerk for the
T. Eaton Company and made $3,000.  My husband worked for the U of T as a
rat lab technician and earned $6,000.   We were so rich, we sent our
laundry out to be done.  Those were the days...

Nice article on this subject on Capitol Hill Blue:

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_8533.shtml

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.