[lit-ideas] Up Trouser Mistress

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:57:33 EST

--- "... what Austin, with  artless sexism, called the 'trouser-word'"

In a message dated 2/26/2009 8:35:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The ability to generate an infinite number of  novel utterances is an
essential characteristic of natural languages.

-----

Whose ability? Languages' ability?

-----

>Here is a case in point. My wife and I are talking  about recent debates
>within anthropology over the ownership of cultural artifacts (including
>intangible artifacts) by the groups that anthropologists study.
>Partly what is at stake here is the meme which says that
>anthropologists should be ashamed of themselves for, in effect,
>ripping off a culture and going off to write their books and articles
>with no reward for the people whose lives are being analyzed—
>seen as a form of gross colonialist/neoliberal imperialist  exploitation.

Well, it does seem. That's what I disliked about Slumdog Millonaire! The
grossest colonialist/neoliberal imperialist exploitation I've seen in  _weeks_!

I _never_ witnessed that sort of analysis as _not_ being a gross  colonialist
neoliberal imperialist exploitation! -- Starting with Malinowski and  onto
Margaret Mead -- Anthropology, it _is_ recognised, started, unlike  philosophy,
like _that!

McCreery:

>The stakes in this debate have, however, risen,
>especially in North America, where Native American
>assertion of  rights to rituals, songs, myths, therapies,
>recipes, etc. have converged with the similar claims of
>intellectual property lawyers working for the likes of
>Disney, who want to assert an eternal and exclusive
>right to control all use of, for example, Mickey Mouse.

(c) Mickey Mouse, you mean.

                       You're the tops,
                       You're (c) Mickey Mouse!

>Then, reflecting on our own research in Taiwan, Ruth
>suddenly says,
>"You weren't upskirting your Daoist  master."
>I know what she's saying. Do  you?

>John
>John McCreery
>The Word Works

c. To turn up at the skirts.

1848 CLOUGH Bothie ii. 96 With blue cotton gown skirted up over striped
linsey-woolsey.

But back to 'productiveness' -- re: 'up-' in the OED:

"Of the numerous formations with up- which have been employed in English,
only a limited number are of a permanent character. A large proportion consists

of forms employed for nonce, especially for metrical reasons, and the same
compound may recur several times without any historical continuity; such
isolated occurrences, indeed, are often separated by an interval of several
centuries. A number of these are given in the following sections, as
illustrations
of the various uses of the prefix in the different periods of the  language."

Cheers,

JL

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)