[lit-ideas] Re: Untwisted Knickers

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:39:52 -0800

Some days my knickers get twisted. I read
that Alaskan airways is serving "artisan made food" and I think "that's a load
of old cobblers,
airline menu designers
making up pork pies."
I read in the New York Times of "prefabricated custom homes" and I wonder why
has that caught my eye
until I realize that *all* customs are prefabricated
but custom means...
well you know what it means
and "prefabricated custom" should be "bespoke"
and refer to shoes or suits.
Just yesterday the bank machine rejected a check. I
had no idea that this could happen; usually it swallows them like a seal on
fish. It
turned out that the fiscal instrument was slightly folded and so the machine
could not read it.
Up came,
on the screen,
"unacceptable