[lit-ideas] Re: Universalizability

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 01:05:00 -0500

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM, <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The universalizability
> principle enables Hare to avoid the charge of  irrationality that is
> usually
> lodged against non-cognitivism , to which his  prescriptivism belongs,

Could someone enlighten me and tell me what "non-cognativism" and
"prescriptivism" are IN THIS CONTEXT?  It seems to me to be specialized
vocabulary in this area of dialogue.  If I unwrap the sentence, the blunt
sense is that prescriptivism is somehow a subset of non-ccognitivism,
(...which would, w/out the statement above, be vunlerable to a charge of
irrationaly...).

Julie Campbell
Julie's Music & Language Studio
1215 W. Worley