[lit-ideas] Re: Uni van Amster

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:46:53 +0000 (GMT)

On my understanding the Dutch are more than a little phlegmish so that they are
closer to that branch of Belgian, so close they may not really be different
languages. Yet even you say

>           witte schwanne,
> swartze swanne
>           will u toe
> Englaland  varen
>
> white swan, black swan,
> will you to England take me?
>
> --- It _is_ very close -- and the languages _are_ cognate
> (more so in
> Friesland, where I've also been -- and am a member of the
> Leeuwaarden Friske
> Akademie. -- Leywvert in the vernacular.

That is, you concede that, while cognate, they are different languages. That
means, they speak two languages if they speak Dutch and English.