[lit-ideas] Understanding as Factive

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:16:41 EDT

I'm not sure, as W. O. seems to be, that  'understanding' is gradual. Many
of our concepts are, granted: notably 'cabbage'  (see Grice on "Of cabbages
and kings" in _Aspects of Reason_).

But with  'understand', I take it as synonym with 'know'.

I'm actually not terribly  interested in _all_ types of 'understanding'.
Only in what Austin called  'uptake'.

A: I bet my grandmother is  dead.
B: ????

Austin notes, "Unless B  _signals_ in some way _something_, we cannot say
that "A has betted" that A's  grandmother is dead. Betting _requires_
'uptake' on the part of the  addressee."

Now, the 'uptake' is a sort of understanding. With Grice is  even simpler:

If 'to mean' is "to intend your addressee to believe that  you hold a
propositional attitude of force F", then, 'to understand' is to  _believe_ and
_know_ what your co-conversationalist means.

Now, you  cannot _know_ what your co-conversationalist means (i.e.
'understand' her)  unless you are _right_ about it.

Ergo, Q. E. D., W. O.'s ramble about the  gradual character of
understanding is not just misguided but  wrong.

-----

Eco studied this. There's so-called  OVERinterpretation, which is
NON-INTERPRETATION, i.e. mistake, rather than  uptake.

If I say,

"He was slightly intoxicated" (of a man known to  have destroyed all the
furniture), to use Grice's example (WOW, iii)

I  will count as having been _understood_ if my co-conversationalist
uptakes my  innuendo. It's not just sufficient that the co-conversationalist
uptakes me at  the level of what is EXplicated (that 'he was slightly
intoxicated') but at the  level of what is IMplicated (that I'm respectful of
people
and prefer to let  co-conversationalists read between the lines). Grice was
concerned that in the  New World, people don't use innuendo a lot ("I love
it!", "He was dead drunk!",  etc.)

Cheers,

JL Speranza

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!