[lit-ideas] Re: Unconscious Thought

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:46:21 +0900

On 2/27/06, Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is pretty much what Peirce once wrote on the
> habits, with few differences though. Klein, wisely in
> my opinion, concentrates on one type of situation,
> while Peirce was developing a more general explanatory
> framework. Big difference however is that in the
> Peircean explanation, people choose and compare
> habits, while in Klein's case "they just move to next
> one." I find the latter unsatisfactory, if the
> soldiers model fails certainly he just doesn't move to
> to the next one if it is the model for ordering at
> McDonald's?

Teemu, you're right."Moving to the next one" isn't as casual as my
phrasing made it sound. What's involved is a pattern recognition and
evaluation process which moves the decider as quickly as possible to
the next plausible model based on the evidence in hand. This still
isn't, however, the rational choice approach of considering all
possible models and trying to select the one which is best. It is
choosing the first in line which (under some set of heuristics)
suffices to account for the situation and shape a different response
i.e., an example of what artificial intelligence/cognitive scientific
types call satisficing as opposed to optimizing behavior.

Even this description is, however (my fault), only a kludge.
Experience-based skill is partly a function of the number of models
available (thus the need to train for a variety of situations)and
partly the pattern recognition process that filters input using
learned (and thus potentially changing) criteria to assess
plausibility.

P.S. Could you provide a more explicit reference to Pierce (am I right
to assume that this is C.S. Pierce?)?

P.P.S. Another interesting similarity here is to the notion of habitus
developed by the French sociologist/social anthropologist Pierre
Bourdieu, from whom I took the soccer example.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.