[lit-ideas] Re: Unconscious Thought

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:59:41 -0800 (PST)

Interesting and good summary John, a comment and a
question below:

--- John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Instead, Klein develops a theory of what he calls
> recognition-primed
> decision making. This theory envisions the decision
> maker as entering
> a situation equipped with a stack of potentially
> relevant cognitive
> models. Scanning the situation, he grabs the first
> one that seems to
> make sense and proceeds to act on it while
> continuing to scan the
> environment for evidence that supports or
> contradicts his choice. So
> long as the model appears to work, he continues to
> act on it. If
> incoming evidence indicates that the model is wrong,
> he grabs the
> next, apparently more plausible one. This process
> continues until (1)
> the situation is resolved or (2) he runs out of
> models. In the kinds
> of situations Klein studies, (2) implies that he and
> those who depend
> on his decisions will be lucky to get out alive.

This is pretty much what Peirce once wrote on the
habits, with few differences though. Klein, wisely in
my opinion, concentrates on one type of situation,
while Peirce was developing a more general explanatory
framework. Big difference however is that in the
Peircean explanation, people choose and compare
habits, while in Klein's case "they just move to next
one." I find the latter unsatisfactory, if the
soldiers model fails certainly he just doesn't move to
to the next one if it is the model for ordering at
McDonald's?

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland