[lit-ideas] Re: Unable to deliver your message

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:45:59 -0700

Here we're looking forward and backward simultaneously. In southern Oregon, Jackson County has closed libraries because the Feds stopped paying "don't cut trees" subsidies and the locals refused a levy. They're now re-opening them under contract to a for-profit company. Mercenary librarians, provided by Blackwater, can't be far behind.

But the good news is that Oregon is going to take up a Swiss or German notion, installing solar panels along highways. What a good idea.

And the cheer-up-your weekend news is that I found a new novel in the library, Brock Clarke, "An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England." What a great title.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon
On Oct 5, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

There's a bus strike here. Our students are having a hard time getting home for Thanksgiving. Ursula, out where the buses don't run...

Donal McEvoy wrote:
Yeh. There's postal strike here too.

Donal