[lit-ideas] Re: Unable to deliver your message

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:15:15 -0700

Marlena wrote

Here is the post where I first heard of the dealership.

An excerpt from that post

The little commuter car goes for less than $10,000, reaching speeds of 40-50 mph, while other electric cars are out there ready for the highway hitting 70 mph. There is even an electric sportscar being produced able to hit speeds of 160 mph.

Marlena and her correspondent are right. The car Ecomotion is offering is the ZAP Xebra, The ZAP company's information on the Web says it costs $10,500. Give or take, I suppose.

However, the Xebra has only three wheels, one in front and two behind, weighs only 1,500 pounds, can travel just 25 miles every 24 hours (unless zapped in the middle of the journey), and can move but 300+ pounds—one standard American, or two German Shepherds, with a Border Collie to read the traffic signs. I'm afraid the author of the copy above has a fanciful notion of what commuting to work and going home again on a freeway entails. I'll wait for the Xebra XL.

http://www.zapworld.com/electric-vehicles/electric-cars/xebra-sedan

http://www.zapworld.com/node/171

$10,500 is about what a good dirt bike costs here.

Robert Paul,
sticking close to home