[lit-ideas] Re: Un Linguaggio Diverso È Una Diversa Visione Della Vita

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 08:48:02 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/14/2013 7:03:13  A.M. UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
So (1) we should not talk of  "experience" here without being clear what
level of experience we are talking  about; ... (As usual, he [Popper] may be
on to something.

I will re-read the close arguments.

Meanwhile, it may do to add to the bargain a special Wundt favourite.

"Language and Thought".

Grice fought with this.

If we say,

"My Eskimo friend, Marjorie, saw that snow was white."

My Eskimo friend thinks, like we do, that snow is white."

The whole point:

to distinguish between the sentence (in Phatic's parlance):

"The snow is white"

and the THOUGHT (or content of the thought -- or experience): "THE SNOW IS
WHITE".

And to play with different options of approaching THOUGHT _other_ than via
lingo.

My source here is C. A. B. Peacocke, professor of content and metaphysical
philosophy at Oxford -- the Waynflete chair. He argues that content is
intrinsically perceptual, not linguistic. But most philosophers are never so
careful.

Peacocke IS, because, as a Griceian (who defines lingo and meaning in  term
of thought) cannot then go the 'loopy circular' way and define thought in
terms of language.

Cheers,

Speranza