[lit-ideas] Re: US NATIONAL ID CARD: ALERT

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:47:35 +0100

Ursula, thank you.  The Guardian newsblog had an interesting piece on
it that they haven't indexed (!) that explains the "ID card by
stealth" aspect of this. Because it's stealth and a tacked-on thing,
your Admin. can try to get it through without the furore the ID card
proposals met here (they had to be shelved but doubtless Blair will
bring them back).

I thought I'd tell people here the major non-libertarian (!) reasons for
opposing the UK one, the second of which certainly applies to the US

1.  It is incredibly costly
2. It will not stop terrorism

I'd have to check my various sources before adding 3. it will not stop
ID theft.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx