[lit-ideas] Re: US Immigration policies

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:24:15 -0000

LH>Europeans can't bring themselves to accept the immigrants as being
LH>Europeans.  It doesn't matter how long you've lived in Europe, you'll still
LH>be a European Jew, never a Jewish European.  Consider how strange
LH>it would be to say things like that in America: American Mexican, for
example.

1.  (As I said some while ago) the French system is like that (like you say the
US is).
2.  Actually, Lawrence, the term is Mexican-American (aka Chicano)

3.  The real "success" of the US system is probably its cherry-picking
immigrants by points-scoring.  We are moving to such a system
(Blair strikes again) causing people to wonder who, now, will do the dirty
and poorly paid jobs British cirizens won't do.  Not that I think immigrants
should have to do them.