[lit-ideas] Re: US Congress and the Israeli Attack on Lebanon

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

> SS writes:
> You talk about the Palestinians as if they were good
> while the Israelis are
> bad. But who attacked whom? Israel was attacked. And
> that makes the
> Palestinians the victims?

*There has been a series of mutual provocations
lasting for months. Israel has picked on one of these
and decided to use it as a pre-text to escalate the
conflict.

> Israel gave back Gaza. As soon as they did, they
> were attacked. Giving back
> Gaza was interpreted as weakness.

*Israel didn't give back anything. It just withdrew
its forces from Gaza temporarily, without any
political agreement, without any guarantees that it
will not return to it again. It continued to prevent
communication between Gaza and the West Bank, and to
blockade it economically.

> It doesn't look like a desire for self-determination
> motivates them, does
> it? If it did, they'd be reaching out to Israel (or
> to other states in the
> area) for help in achieving their goals. They
> aren't.

*What do you man by *reaching out" ? Both the Fatah
and the Hamas want to negotiate with Israel. Israel
refuses to negotiate with the Hamas and doesn't take
Fatah seriously.

> There's a lot to criticize Israel for -- but not
> here. Israel is defending
> itself. And doing it with disproportionate force, it
> seems to me, is the
> only way to show Hamas and Hezbollah they mean
> business...they're not
> someone to trifle with.
> I feel proud of Israel. I think they're doing a
> damned good job. I have no
> mixed feelings about Israel beating the shit out of
> Hezbollah -- Iran's
> proxy in the area.

*So you not only approve but feel proud that Israel is
killing civilians, destroying the economy of a
neghbouring country etc. What would your "criticisms
of Israel" consist in, one wonders ? You are a Zionist
militant and the statements above illustrate it.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com