[lit-ideas] Re: UN question

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:22:02 -0400

Andy: On the other hand, it could lead to economic problems. . . . . With diminished
oil, goods will be more expensive and scarcer, since nearly everything has
petroleum in it. . . . . I'm not sure how many people will be happier when oil runs out.

Eric: Sure, it will change everything. It undoubtedly will lead to economic problems. For instance, people will have to change their diets because food won't be able to be shipped long distances. No New Zealand apples.

My point was that the great multicultural exchange and transformation idealists envision MIGHT not happen, and the current transition state will reverse itself. After peak oil, loss of petroleum base for societies will mean:

*hardly any jet travel: less JIT manufacturing; less diplomacy and international journalism
*incredible difficulty coordinating international efforts (whether relief efforts or peacekeeping missions)
*return to spheres of influence, decentralization of power, homogeneous cultures

The global village we hoped that people would some day be good enough to occupy, will vanish without the petroleum economy.