[lit-ideas] Re: U.N. Special Committee on Palestine

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:17:27 EDT

I think Italy has been mentioned...

Julie Krueger

========Original Message========
    Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: U.N. Special Committee on Palestine  Date: 7/28/06
4:53:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _teme17@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:teme17@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:

--- JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> What possible motivation  would the Israeli army/govt
> have for deliberately
> bombing  a UN Peacekeeping Office?

Don't know about those higher up,  but Jerusalem Post
run a story where IDF troops basically accused  UN
forces of aiding Hezbollah. And not for the first time
either. Their  proof? They saw UN officers having tea
with Hezbollah fighters. The UN forces  don't have a
mandate or the resources to do anything else then
monitor the  situation and aid civilians, so it is more
than natural for them to be in  contact with both sides
of the conflict. Couple days after the story, the  UN
bunker was hit despite repeated warnings on several
levels. The  conclusion to draw is that at least some
segments of IDF have a with us or  against us
mentality. Olmert promised a full inquiry, which would
be a  first, but I am open to being proven wrong.

USA and UK have now joined  the chorus asking for an
international force in Southern Lebanon. For  political
reasons, I doubt they would be USA or UK forces. That
leaves the  EU rapid response force as a short term
fix, rotating duty now held by  Germans, Dutch and
Finns. Germans are uneasy about getting their  military
involved with anything involving Israel for historical
reasons,  Dutch will not be going anywhere with a murky
mandate (think Srebreniza), and  given that Israel just
blow up a Finnish officer, Finns "don't have  troops
available at the moment", which is a nice way of
saying that the  army isn't going anywhere without
whole lot of firepower and a clear mandate  to shoot
back at IDF...  So I guess French or Russians are the
best  guess on who is going, there just aren't that
many combat troops on standby  anywhere and mere peace
keepers won't do, and I don't think neither nation  is
particularly enthusiastic.

Yours,
Teemu
Helsinki,  Finland