[lit-ideas] Re: UK cancer survival rates worst in Western Europe

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:44:10 +0100

Just as in the Torygraph article, the problems with Lawrence's pronouncement(s)
are often in the detail rather than the gloss. Cancer survival rates are a
result of many variables of which the choice of drug is just one. Foremost, and
for the most part unspecified in the linked article, is the type of cancer
which can vary between countries and between classes.

The starkest difference between healthcare delivery in the UK and in the US is
that specific treatments here might be withheld because the health authority
has concerns about its efficacy when set against the cost, whereas in the US
any treatment might be wthheld because the patient is unable to pay for it.
Lawrence might well be correct in saying that the range of medical factlities,
including equipment and drugs, is better in the US, but just as important is
access to it, which is far from universal.

Lawrence may be happy with the health choice made in the US. I'm happy with the
choice we've made over here.

Simon