[lit-ideas] U and non-U (Was: Mitford -- The droppage

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:37:30 EST

Walter Okshevsky quotes my:

and writes:

>Grice never visited St. John's. Or any other city  in Newfoundland, as far
as I
>know.
>Walter Okshevsky
>In the  east end of St. John's
>Newfoundland and Labrador

I was referring to St. John's _College_, where H. P. Grice was elected
full-time Tutorial Fellow in Philosophy in 1938 -- had Strawson in 1939 as one
of
his first tutees -- and never abandoned the post till he was offered the Full
Professor of Philosophy Chair at UC/Berkeley for the fall term of 1967.

That's, mmm. let's see

       1967
   -   1939
      --------
            28 years  of loyalty to St. John's.

I was, following Nancy Mitford (who follows A. Ross, of Birmingham)
*dropping* the "College" as it minimizes the thing.

According to Mitford it's non-U to say _College_, when the pretentious
enough "St. John's" will do.

(She also thinks it's non-U to say "Hall", "Place", "Park", "House",
"Castle", "Palace", "University", etc. -- "These things are pretentious enough
and
one would feel silly saying that she's gone to "Longleat House", or that  one's
son went up to Cambridge _University_. As if there were something else in
Cambridge *other* than the University!?")

Cheers,

JL