[lit-ideas] Re: Tyrtaeus, "The Spartan Creed" (7th century B. C.)

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:22:24 -0330

Did Heinrich really say that on his deathbed? I didn't know he spoke Russian.

As to God's vocation, I don't think we can be certain that God's actions will
accord with our own ends and interests. Isn't that precisely the point of
prayer? To ask that God's will acknowledge and facilitate our own? (This stuff
comes much too simply to me .... I worry about my atheism sometimes.)

OK, OK, on Wittgenstein's notion of "certainty," then, yes, we can be certain
given a specific way of life (not "form of life". What DID W mean by a "form of
life," anyway?). That's only to say that such expressions as P: "Christ is my
saviour" possess no truth value. (And that claim is other than the claim that
some statements have indeterminate truth values.) It makes no sense to respond
to the speech act that is P with: "No, he ain't."

Walter O.
Certain of it. (It's on my passport.)