[lit-ideas] Two questions (one political, one technical)

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 23:43:44 -0800 (PST)

I've got two questions. One is, The Electronic
Intifada reported on march 5. that:

"McDonald's Corporation today confirmed that it has a
policy banning its employees from speaking Arabic in
its restaurants in Israel, despite the fact that
Palestinian citizens of Israel form 20% of its
workforce, and Arabic is one of the two official
languages of Israel."

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article2476.shtml

The company policy is probably in violation of the
Israeli law, but I would like to know how McDonalds in
the English-speaking countries relates to the use of
other languages. (I am pretty sure that, in China, the
McDonalds policy is to encourage the use of English in
communicating with foreign customers as much as
possible.) What of Spanish in the US ?

Now the technical question: how do we set the repro
function on this listserv ? I've got used to the repro
function over the years, and I am going to feel
uncomfortable unless someone confirms that they have
received this message.

O.K.

http://search.yahoo.com