[lit-ideas] Two questions

  • From: david ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:26:44 -0700

Can “implicature” be used as an active verb or does one have to fall back on
“implicate”? “I implicature, you implicature, he she or it implicatures”?

Second question: what’s a clearout?

Third question (of two): who knew that rugby was a pool sport? I thought water
polo and its cousin “bat polo” were plenty rough.

Ford and Gray were handed the bans for a clearout of Jack Lam at a ruck during
the pool victory over Samoa last Saturday which secured the Scots a
quarter-final against Australia.

"This is a sick joke," he told the DailyTelegraph.
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11930734/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Are-smaller-nations-being-treated-unfairly-on-discipline.html>

Carry on,

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon