[lit-ideas] Re: Two poems, two approaches, for Friday

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 08:12:04 -0400

I heard an interview recently which corroborated what I had read quite some
time ago about the concept of 'honor'.  'Honor' is an outgrowth of a Romantic
notion derived primarily from Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe fiction that Southern
white slave holders, particularly in South Carolina, used as a basis for
retaliating perceived slights from each other.  There is a theory that slaves,
again particularly in South Carolina, watched and absorbed their white owners'
challenges to duel each other over 'disrespect'.  Post Civil War this ethic
followed the former slaves and became institutionalized in the inner cities as
'dissing', or showing disrespect, which disrespect became resolved in gun
battles, i.e., a reincarnation of the duels of Southern gentlemen.  Years ago
when I first came across this idea I wondered why inner city black children
aren't taught that their tough guy ethic of killing each other over disrespect
(otherwise known as honor) is a way of keeping them tied to slav
 ery.  Honor, like chivalry, is life imitating art with disastrous consequences.