[lit-ideas] Re: Two important guys

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:16:15 +0100
On 24 Nov 2014, at 17:54, Ursula Stange wrote:

> Thank you so much, Chris, for posting these quotations.   How did you know I
> needed them?

Pure serendipity. Glad to be of service.

And on 24 Nov 2014, at 18:17, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> am surprised Chris did not know the Aldous Huxley/JFK connection which long
> ago entered popular culture with Sheryl Crow where she sings ["Run, Baby,
> Run"]:-
>
> "She was born in November 1963
> The day Aldous Huxley died ..."

There are large holes in my knowledge of popular culture (to say nothing of the
products of the entertainment industry that pass for such), as for several
decades I have lived without television, and have only been listening to
'public' radio (CBC, community stations, and here in Germany NDR,
Deutschlandfunk and Deutschlandradio Kultur).

I'm wondering whether 'living without television' is as bizarre as it first
sounds.  I do remember one list member (of either Lit-Ideas or its predecessor)
mentioning being brought up in a household where television was forbidden (not
the case with me, mine was a personal decision made in the '70's which I never
regret). Anyone else who will admit to going though (adult) life without ...
well I'll quote from the British English Thesaurus that came with this
computer: the gogglebox, the boob tube, the idiot box.

Chris Bruce,
trying to be deliberately provocative, in
Kiel, Germany