[lit-ideas] Re: Two Tongues?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:43:34 -0500

JL:
Why would we call normal a person with _non-literally_ two  tongues?

Metonymy, dear poster, metonymy. The tongue is the organ essential to forming the ridiculously absurd sounds of so many primitive and obscene languages we hear about us. But the tongue must be forced like the feet of Chinese girls of yesteryear or the extended necks of Ubangi women or the disc lipped Mobali women of the Northern Congo, forced analogously through years of torture to produce the sounds of one's native tongue (the one tongue metonymy). All languages except the Mississippi Delta Southern American English one, that is, we learn to speak it by sipping molasses. Thus to learn a furrin language is to try to Cheneyize the tongue twice over, as it were, to make it assume shapes it had never been forced into as a supple young thing, and of which it had about as much hope of achieving as it had of learning to leap like Baryshnikov.

I speak from experience. I tried to learn Danish to impress my Danish sister in law, but at every sound I produced she laughed in scorn, and ridiculed my spot on "murvflurvmagrrruuuvs". She, whose language sounds exactly like a cow being waterboarded, dared say she couldn't understand my English! I speak for all humanity when I say there's just no accounting for some people.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>