[lit-ideas] Turing and Grice: The Implicature Game

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:55:55 -0500

Speranza

From "The Imitation Game":

CUT TO
EXT. SHERBORNE SCHOOL FOR BOYS - DAY - 1927

Young Alan and Christopher sit under a tree, the school in the  distance.

Alan is going through a crossword puzzle, Christopher is  reading a book.

Their legs are touching affectionately without either  even knowing, like
two people who are effortlessly comfortable with one  another.

YOUNG ALAN: What’s that you’re reading?

Christopher shows  him: “A Guide to Codes and Cyphers.”

CHRISTOPHER: It’s about  cryptography.

YOUNG ALAN: What’s cryptography?

CHRISTOPHER: It’s  complicated. You wouldn’t understand.

YOUNG ALAN: I’m only fourteen months younger than you. Don’t treat me like
 a child.

CHRISTOPHER: Cryptography is the science of codes.

YOUNG  ALAN: Like secret messages?

CHRISTOPHER: Not secret. That’s the brilliant  part. Messages that anyone
can see, but no one knows what they mean, unless you  have the key.

YOUNG ALAN (confused): How is that different from  talking?

CHRISTOPHER: Talking?

YOUNG ALAN: When people talk to  each other they never say what they mean.
They say something else. And you’re  supposed to just know what they mean.
Only, I never do. So how is that  different?

CHRISTOPHER (handing him the book): Alan, I have a funny  feeling that you’
re going to be very good at this.

CUT TO EXT. SHERBORNE  SCHOOL FOR BOYS - DORMITORY - EVENING.

Cheers,

Speranza