[lit-ideas] Re: Turing, Grice, Wittgenstein - Functionalism

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:11:42 +0000 (GMT)

________________________________
 From: "palma@xxxxxxxxxx" <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, 14 January 2012, 12:20
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Turing, Grice, Wittgenstein - Functionalism

>the (below quoted) position is unstable and rather silly. The question is
is intelligent behavior modular/ yes
so, step 2, let us assume (as the quote suggest) that one such module is the
capacity to do sums-
so step 3, every time I to do 1+1, I think of my parents
here the glaring fallacy and idiocy of the debates about consciousness, the
"machine" who does not think about (my? his? its?) parents is not doing sums.
the remainder is the traditional verbiage of self-styled philosophers who do
not think-->

But the "rather silly" position (as you describe it) does not depend on
anything like this somewhat silly Aunt Sally on your part - i.e. a person who
brings in extraneous thoughts, e.g. about their parents, when doing sums. Why,
for example, do so many people answer '45.5' to "What is half of 99?"? It was
not suggested it is because extraneous thoughts, such as about their parents,
distract them. Likewise a computer with a misprogramme or malfunction might
calculate "2 + 2" to equal something other than 4 - a mistake educated humans
would not typically make. This is because humans have a World 2 grasp of the
World 3 content of  "2 + 2 = 4" which a computer does not; and so (educated)
humans grasp that any alternative is false in a way a computer does not - so,
even if presented with "2 + 2 = 22" as a proposition by a computer, humans will
baulk at its truth because they understand the content; whereas a
malfunctioning or misprogrammmed computer will not
 baulk (unless something in its programme causes it to baulk) since it does not
grasp the content of the proposition qua World 3 content but has simply been
programmed to 'process' such content in certain ways. [And may wrongly have
been programmed to take the '+' of addition to process numbers so they are
simply conjoined, so "2 + 2 = 22"].

The truth is that your 'extraneous thoughts' "fallacy and idiocy" is simply
itself a fallacy and idiocy of your own extraneous making. Fact.

Think of your parents.

Donal

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>________________________________
> From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
>

>>Many thanks. Anyone else here disagree with that?>
>
>Without disagreeing the characterisation Palma offers, let us point to one
>central problem with its idea that "to capture what object is you may look at
>what an object does". The problem is that the character of a process cannot be
>exhaustively captured by what that process does. Take a simple example: the
 calculation of a sum, say  '2 + 2 = 4'. This sum may be 'processed' or
'performed' by a computer/calculator or by a human. And let us say we can
characterise the 'process' in similar terms, of inputs and outputs say, in
either case. Are we to conclude that therefore what a human experiences when
performing that calculation is the same as what a computer experiences (if the
computer experiences anything)?

>Here we are right back at the metaphysical question of whether we need, in the
>human case, to account for the' processing' in terms of some World 2 (in P's
>terminology), whereas in the case of the computer the 'process' is entirely to
>be understood in terms of some World 1. And then there is the question, Popper
>would emphasise, whether we need to bring in some World 3 to understand both
>the human World 2 activity of 'mental arithmetic' and the construction of a
>World 1 device like a computer. As soon as we raise these questions we can see
 it is naive, if not vain, to think that 'what it is to calculate "2 + 2 = 4"'
is captured by a functionalist characterisation - that is, captured by what is
done in functionalist terms. Nor can the human character of the experience of
calculating be discounted as unimportant to understanding the 'process' - for
when we explain human errors in 'mental arithmetic' [e.g. 'What is half of 99?'
- it is not '45.5' as many claim] we  may avail ourselves of a whole level of
World 2 explanation that we cannot use in accounting for computer errors in
calculation. (In fact, there are mistakes in mathematics that humans would
rarely make but a computer easily might [through malfunction or misprogramme],
as well as vice versa.) Functionalism is doomed insofar as it is simply tries
to side-step what is metaphysically at stake when the issue raises the question
of whether what is being 'processed' is at a level beyond a mere World 1.

>It may be also doomed
 as a proper explanation of what is happening even at a purely World 1 level,
but that is another story.