[lit-ideas] Re: Turing, Grice, Wittgenstein - Functionalism

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:05:00 +0000 (GMT)

________________________________
 From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>

>Many thanks. Anyone else here disagree with that?>

Without disagreeing the characterisation Palma offers, let us point to one
central problem with its idea that "to capture what object is you may look at
what an object does". The problem is that the character of a process cannot be
exhaustively captured by what that process does. Take a simple example: the
calculation of a sum, say  '2 + 2 = 4'. This sum may be 'processed' or
'performed' by a computer/calculator or by a human. And let us say we can
characterise the 'process' in similar terms, of inputs and outputs say, in
either case. Are we to conclude that therefore what a human experiences when
performing that calculation is the same as what a computer experiences (if the
computer experiences anything)?

Here we are right back at the metaphysical question of whether we need, in the
human case, to account for the' processing' in terms of some World 2 (in P's
terminology), whereas in the case of the computer the 'process' is entirely to
be understood in terms of some World 1. And then there is the question, Popper
would emphasise, whether we need to bring in some World 3 to understand both
the human World 2 activity of 'mental arithmetic' and the construction of a
World 1 device like a computer. As soon as we raise these questions we can see
it is naive, if not vain, to think that 'what it is to calculate "2 + 2 = 4"'
is captured by a functionalist characterisation - that is, captured by what is
done in functionalist terms. Nor can the human character of the experience of
calculating be discounted as unimportant to understanding the 'process' - for
when we explain human errors in 'mental arithmetic' [e.g. 'What is half of 99?'
- it is not '45.5' as many
 claim] we  may avail ourselves of a whole level of World 2 explanation that we
cannot use in accounting for computer errors in calculation. (In fact, there
are mistakes in mathematics that humans would rarely make but a computer easily
might [through malfunction or misprogramme], as well as vice versa.)
Functionalism is doomed insofar as it is simply tries to side-step what is
metaphysically at stake when the issue raises the question of whether what is
being 'processed' is at a level beyond a mere World 1.

It may be also doomed as a proper explanation of what is happening even at a
purely World 1 level, but that is another story.

Donal

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM, palma@xxxxxxxxxx <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>the notion (due to Lewis, Putnam, Block, et a.l)
>>according to which
>>to capture what object is you may look at what an object does.
>>One of the consequences is that, in the case of mind, a mind can be
>>"implemented" in different and wildly so, physical substrata (e.g.
>>suppose a mind has to be able to perceive, humans do it with V cortex and a
>>brain, and eyes, and the whole visual neuronal system--
>>a compuer can/could do it with a cam, chips, circuitry and so forth — if you
>>are functioanlist then the machine and the brain perceive, since perceiving
>>is characterized by its function and not by its hardware--

>>Donal, could you or someone else here describe what philosophers mean by
>>"functionalism"? When I hear the term, what leaps to mind is a now
>>discredited sociological proposition that societies are homeostatic systems
>>maintained by negative feedback. "Functions" can mean all sorts of things
>>from x=f(y) to a dress-up party. It would help a lot to know what, in
>>particular, we are talking about.
>>

>>John
>>

>>On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote:

 or 'empiricism' or 'idealism' or 'dualism' or 'monism') for Wittgenstein we
are in effect trying to say what cannot be said but at best only shown. So if
you ask later Wittgenstein whether a thought is a merely material or physical
entity, you will not get an answer a la Popper where a World 2 is distinguished
from a World 1 (or indeed a la traditional philosophy insofar as it hinges on a
mind-body dichotomy):- what Wittgenstein might want to do is find out what
exactly you think you are trying to say by claiming, or denying, that thought
is merely material; and then he would seek dissolve the misleading metaphysical
pictures (or conceptual confusions) that are thrown up by this kind of thinking
- dissolve them by showing how they lead to both patent nonsense and disguised
nonsense. But at the root of Wittgenstein's method is an absence of any clear
metaphysical stance in the sense of an -ism. This is because the divide between
sense and nonsense cannot
 be said it can only be shown (this is a thesis common to both the earlier and
later Wittgenstein, who may be characterised as having two distinct
philosophies of sense and nonsense and of 'showing not saying''); so any
attempt to mark the divide by a clear metaphysical stance is a futile attempt
to 'say' what can only be 'shown'. And what is 'shown' by looking at the
interlocking complexity of 'language games', as set out in 'Philosophical
Investigations', seems to tell against any clear metaphysical stance.