[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 14:01:06 -0700

Omar wrote:
 but it is possible to rationalize them
> by talking about them constantly. That is the idea of
> psychotherapy.

ck: This--rationalizing feelings--is not the idea of psychotherapy at all.
You're out of your depth. So is Iremandy in misdescribing
cognitive-behavioral theory. How irritating would it be to hear the study of
nuclear physics seriously described as small, invisible objects that control
everything. That's about the level of psychodynamic theory, discussed here.
The grasp of concepts gleaned is too rudimentary to withstand swift
correction.  But the apparent disrespect for psychology in this discussion
makes attempts at correction unnecessary.
Carol