[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:19:29 -0700

Andreas wrote:

The basis of rationality, indeed, of Western thought is deliberative, attentive thought. You carry out a processs by paying attention and weighing the options. You think by being aware of the issue. Indeed, cogito, ergo sum.

But the study finds the opposite: when you think, you are not self-aware. It refutes 2,500 years of Westen philsophy.

This raises a number of questions of its own. Is 'self-awareness' anywhere defined in this study? Does the denial that when we 'think' we are not 'self-aware,' amount to a denial that when we think we aren't aware of 'thinking'? If that's the claim, no study could show it, because its false. Very often when we think we know we're thinking, and we're aware of posing and discarding various directions to take in sorting through or trying to set forth a piece of discursive reasoning. We do 'pay attention, and we do weigh options. There are various ways to solve a moderately interesting problem in logic, some are elegant and direct, some are cumbersome and redundant, even though correct. To deny that one doesn't choose between and is aware of choosing between one or the other of DeMorgan's theorems, or between a 'long' and 'short' form of solving by assigning truth values seems to me to fly in the face of plain facts.

The short form of assigning truth values might illustrate this. If one
assigns the value false (F) to the conclusion of an argument in
elementary propositional logic and then tries to assign truth values to
its individual premises to determine whether there is an instance in
which the conclusion is F and the conjoined premises true (T), one will
assign Ts and Fs in accordance with the possibilities for a given
elementary valid form. Denying the antecedent, e.g.

If P then Q
not-P
-----
Therefore, not-Q

The denial of not-Q is Q.

(The aim of such an exercise is to try to find an instance in which the conjoined premises are true and the conclusion false. If the argument is valid, this will be impossible.)

Now you can work 'backwards' and try to assign the truth value T to each of the other premises (in order to generate 'Premises true & Conclusion false. Each complex or elementary proposition has a truth value: the only case in which a conditional is T is when its antecedent is T and its conclusion F. Otherwise, it's true. Peter Sober will tell you how to go on. http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/courses/log/forking.htm

Notice what Sober says about the decisions one makes, about writing down tentative truth assignments and so on. This is simple discursive reasoning. There's no reason to think that more complex reasoning requires any less attention.

As for being aware of the self, Hume demolished the notion of an identifiable Cartesian center of thinking called 'the self' well over two hundred years ago. If one cannot be aware of a separate entity called 'the self' at any time, a fortiori one cannot be aware of it 'in thinking.'

I know that Andreas doesn't really think that 2,500 years of Western Philosophy consisted of theses, claims, arguments, conclusions, positions and so on that were so much alike as makes no difference.

Robert Paul
Reed College