[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:20:19 +0100 (BST)

> >That
> > there are 'four basic (sic) ways' for people to express their emotions
> > needs some evidence.

I think it can be argued that there are three basic *negative* emotions, to
whit - anger, sadness, anxiety [all 'dysphoria' to the Greeks]. There are
many, many ways of *expressing* these emotions. It is a mistake to regard the
possible limited number of types of emotion as setting a limit to the ways of
expressing these emotions.

>Why the 20th century was the
> bloodiest in history, and on and on.

Because of mass destruction and mass population. Yet, per capita - and war
aside, the murder rate has gone down markedly in the last several centuries.

>We think in words.  If we don't
> have a language, we literally can't think.

We sometimes think in words, but many of our thoughts are not in words - for
example, I could recognise [in thought]if the creases in my trousers were
altered even if I would struggle to describe in language the differing
character of the creases. I might clearly recognise my assailant though I
would struggle to describe him in language that would clearly allow another
to recognise him (that's why the police hire artists to translate such
descriptions into a picture).

To think all thought is language-dependent is just one of the prejudices of
the cunning linguists who have deformed rational thought on this topic.

Donal
Hi Mike
Nice poem
England

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets.
http://uk.mail.yahoo.com