[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:59:09 -0400

"The brain?s ability to ?switch off? the self may have evolved as a
protective mechanism, he suggests. ?If there is a sudden danger, such as
the appearance of a snake, it is not helpful to stand around wondering how
one feels about the situation,? Goldberg points out."

Or, rephrased, "Don't just sit there, do something, do anything ..."
People are emotional creatures who like to think they're rational.  I think
the world needs to take one day out of every week and call it "Don't Just
Do Something, Sit There Day."  Then we can extend it to two days and work
up to every day.  Maybe then we can be rational and have time for the
really important things like cleaning up the air and water ...  Right.

www.newscientist.com/article/dn9019-watching-the-brain-switch-off-selfawaren
ess.html