[lit-ideas] Re: Tuesday Hermeneutics (Was: Monday Poem)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:22:18 -0700

On Oct 23, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

David, I hope you can do better than L. "Helm" Helm, who, when I offered my heart-felt interpretation, all he said was that it was 'beyond' what he meant, and that his creation being too recent, he felt unable to cope with an exegesis of it.

I'm happy to try.

I did not understand a lot of your nice verse. "Chartlon" is a hue of white? That's one entry in the OED, 'Charlton white'.

Charlton is an area of S.E. London, near Woolwich. It has a football team. I lived there for a few weeks when we were between houses, which is to say that we had to move out of the house that we'd sold and couldn't yet move into the house that we'd bought. It was a grim place.

I'm not sure what you mean gentleman's appliance shop. No such thing in the OED. I suppose you mean they would sell things like shaving cream, but that you'd rather think it was all pornographic (and women fallen from an honourable life). I can't see how you can say this belongs to your childhood. It sounds more Victorian to me.
I think the shop sold trusses of various sorts, devices for people who wanted to avoid the surgical repair of hernias. But why young adults had to be kept out is a bit of a mystery, hence the speculation that they had a second line of business. It's hard to imagine that there was a sufficient market in trusses. What else would they sell? Male corsets perhaps? Condoms maybe? I thought the place worth including in a poem because it was so much of an era, but it's not something I can describe further because I never went in.

On researching collocations for 'gentleman's', I was intererested in "the gentleman's C", which was now a B+ and what someone (male) gets just for his legacy and good breeding. I am interested in reminiscences. I suppose the gentleman's appliance shop applies to your childhood in London. I can't see why you have to EXPLAIN an ad, Victorian or other. Don't you find that teachers are on many an occasion asked to explain something that it's self-explanatory. Especially in literature classes, I find it rather irritating that someone is explaining a novel which was never meant to be explained and that does not need a relevant "Novel Studies" to make it be relevant. Your other parts I understood better. You teach medicine? I thought you taught art.

One of my seminars this semester, in an art college, is "History from Fifty Defective Newspapers." I bought a stack of nineteenth century newspapers on e-bay and we are trying to figure out what can be learned from this "defective" archive. My task is usually either to suggest where further information is available or to supply some of same, hence the discourse on hernias and prolapsed bladders, which were so much the bane of nineteenth century women that you can still find chairs with built-in potties. I far I also told them about McDowell and Sims and the early history of gynecology--a long time ago I taught the history of medicine--which may have been too much indelicacy for that hour of the morning.

Yes, fall (or autumn) is very nice, and I liked your imagery of the leaves going to the gutter, which reminds me of another Londoner (like you), Gertrude Lawrence. Noel Coward said she knew about things and that she was proud to say that she came not in, but from the gutters.

We did try to race leaves in the gutter just as you race objects in a stream. And yes I was considering both innocent and experienced understandings of "gutter".

And you have to let me know, under the other thread, what your favourite Loeb, or the one you'd feel like reading now, is.

Of Loeb, I am entirely innocent; I know nothing about the subject. I am a modern historian, straying sometimes towards the early modern period, but not tempted further back. My current weakness is encyclopedia Britannica. I just bought my third set, which will allow me perhaps to say a thing or two about the transition from the eleventh to the thirteenth edition. Or maybe I'll just enjoy the essays.

Best wishes,

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon