[lit-ideas] Re: Truth relatavized

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:33:50 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sat, 2/1/10, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > Truth is the
> > correspondence (of a proposition) to the facts [a la
> Tarski].
>
> I did hang around long enuff to hear an answer, but I doubt
> the answer is
> coherent. Isn't it the case that facts are those kinds of
> beasties that are
> *expressed* by propositions, if true? Surely true
> propositions don't and can't
> "correspond" to facts as if facts grew on trees, or were
> encased in sherry
> casks, and were able to be individuated independent of
> propositional form.

Well this is just confusion. The fact "Snow is white" is (assumimg it true a
statement) independent of the expression "Snow is white". Its truth is, in this
sense, "individuated independent of propositional form", even if _expressing_
such a truth is not.

[The reference to facts growing on trees is neither here nor there; facts
aren't encased in sherry casks either, though some thoughts and their
expression might be influenced by the contents of such casks.]

Donal