[lit-ideas] Re: Truth relatavized

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:32:58 -0330

Quoting Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>:

> Merry new year.
>
> Donal wrote:
Must we really bear with atrocious spelling in our subjekt lines?

snip

> Truth is the
> correspondence (of a proposition) to the facts [a la Tarski].

I did hang around long enuff to hear an answer, but I doubt the answer is
coherent. Isn't it the case that facts are those kinds of beasties that are
*expressed* by propositions, if true? Surely true propositions don't and can't
"correspond" to facts as if facts grew on trees, or were encased in sherry
casks, and were able to be individuated independent of propositional form.

(Just as human being does not exist independently of its understanding of the
nature of human being - HIM again - the nosing and tasting notes of a fine
single malt do not exist independent of their linguistic description in
Jackson's bible.)

A Hapy New Year to anyone whose calendar so proclaims.

Walter O.