[lit-ideas] Truth and Oblivion: The Greek Connection

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:27:32 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2005 5:39:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
goya@xxxxxxx writes:
Yet it's  not false to say that for the Greeks, to tell the truth =
is  -=20
etymologically, at least - to fight against  oblivion

---- This  makes sense in that, too, one cannot _remember_ (that p) unless p.
A false  memory is _not_ a memory (or so R. Paul once argued).

Note that if true is 'alethic', false should be 'lethargic'.

Is 'pseudos' the word Plato (The Sophist) use to refer to the falsehood of
things like "Taethetus flies" -- I wonder if a Greek thesaurus would give other
 examples. 'pseudo' I associate too much with 'mock', as in 'mockingbird',
'mockturtle soup' (soup made of mockturtle), etc.

Cheers,

JL
     ps. I cannot think of another word for  'thesaurus'