[lit-ideas] Truth, Justice, and the American Way

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 14:21:38 -0600

Am I wrong to presume that all knowledge is at best presumption?  So all of
this is just "let's assume that..."?  It doesn't matter, of course, but I'd
kind of like to know because, well, you know, my emotional life, it sort of
matters to me and I don't want to get all bent out of shape over a
mispresumption. I realize that my presumptions nothing more than the
product of my world -- the old "Always already immersed in a  world" thing,
you know?  I am my culture and I don't know if it's possible for me to ever
be not my culture, even when I reject parts of my culture, that too comes
out of my culture.    But I would sure hate to get all worked up only to
realize that what I was all worked up over was just mis-presumption on my
part, stemming from my unique culture. That, in fact, I could be completely
wrong about my understanding of everything. EVEN what I'm writing right
now.  But you've got to admit that that's highly unlikely -- I mean, come
on, a man of my intelligence  -- wrong??  Get real.  So I presume I right
in all this.