[lit-ideas] Re: Truth, Justice and the American Jeans

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:37:32 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

"American jeans" aren't american anymore. These are manufactured in
Southeast Asia and Mexico.

I read a few days ago that only 8% of US workers are in manufacturing now.
Only 8%. It's expected this will fall to 2%.

A.A.: Okay, American style jeans then, undoubtedly manufactured elsewhere.
Those kids weren't buying Southeast Asian or Mexican jeans.  They were buying
the American imprimatur, the American myth, wherever it's manufactured.   The
U.S. is an enormous, if not always positive. influence in the world.   On the
other hand, maybe on balance we are a positive influence in the world.  In the
17th century there were few or no democracies in the world.  Today nearly every
country either is or claims to be a democracy.

BTW, has anyone read Perfectly Legal?  I read a review.  I did not know that
the wealthy in this country pay no taxes at all.  Not lower taxes in relation
to the middle class, but no taxes at all, as in none.  All because the IRS is
working with less staff than in 1988.  Literally hundreds of billions of
dollars are being uncollected.  In my opinion, that is a step toward a weak
America, especially when we have a war to fund.

Andy

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com