[lit-ideas] True believers

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 20:31:18 -0500

God love you all and keep those messages coming.

Ritchie's a lot more patient than I am and more discerning about minute
variations of theme -- the true sign of an artist.  I want action.  I want
conversions.  Most here on this list aren't artists, they're like me --
evangelists.  We want to convert the world to the truth as we certainly know
it.  I've been an evangelist since I was 12.  True, my truths have changed over
time but, by golly, they've always been true if not coherent, otherwise I
wouldn't have held them.  Everything is true, if only because we always and
only know something is true because we believe it's true.   I once visited with
God.  He's a very, very old man now.  He mostly dozes -- but when I asked him
what was the true way, he chuckled.  "What does it matter?" he said, "you
stupid people are going to kill each other regardless.  And all of you think
you're the good guys. [He laughed heartily here until he started coughing and
gasping for breath] "Ach," he said.  "Go, damnit, get outta here.  Go, kill one
another.  What the fuck do I care?"  God is very cynical.

Mike Geary
Memphis