[lit-ideas] True Religion

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 00:31:40 -0500

They're talking dollars on Charlie Rose.
All are white men.
I'm a white man.
But I don't understand a damn thing they say.
Don't care that I don't know.  Don't want to know.
I just wish they wouldn't embarrass me so --
by being white and all that, I mean.

               II

I had four cats.
Now I only have three.
So far as I know, my cats never talked about economic theory.
But if claws are words, they talked a lot about territory.
I let my cats come and go as they choose.
One day Tribbie, my favorite, came home a cripple.
He often came home the worse for wear,
but never before so defeated.  It was in his demeanor.
"Buck up, guy," I told him.  "Hell,  it's been four years
since you lost your balls
You've got no reason to fight. Forget it."
But he couldn't.  The next morning, he wanted out.  I asked
him several times if he was really sure he wanted to do this.
He stood there staring at the door.  I let him out,
knowing it would come to no good.
Haven't seen him since.
Doubt I ever will.
Such a stupid thing.