[lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:55:35 -0700

 Goodness, they are spreading far and wide.  (Or I should look at a
> map... )

ck:  Judy, your sense of geography isn't impaired. It's far and wide, all
right--about 3,000 miles. Fresno's mayor and town council offered the city
as a relo site, just as it did for 2,000 new Hmong refugees earlier this
year, and long before. Poverty rate here is about 20%, btw. This town has a
good heart--compassionate conservatism indeed--but of course social welfare
and education programs have been cut dramatically. Indeed, we no longer have
a homeless shelter in Fresno! What are they thinking... OK, they're not
thinking. I expect that some of these ex-NO folks will become my voc
rehab/social work clients.
later the same day,
Carol