[lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:54:59 -0700

Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

Four hundred N.O. evacuees are scheduled to arrive in Fresno, CA, today. We must be underestimating the degree of these folks' desperation.

On quite another note, I've been tearful and raging this weekend. True, Saturday was my birthday, but this is more about N.O. and the Bush. Desperation without a net. Has anyone else here been taking all this Katrina aftermath viscerally and personally?

Portland is expecting 1,000 evacuees, who'll be housed ('housed') in one of the closed high schools here. There's bound to be considerable culture shock for them. The state of Washington is preparing to receive 2,000 or so. As for your last question: yes.

Robert Paul
Reed College