[lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:13:17 -0400

CK: On quite another note, I've been tearful and raging this weekend. True,
Saturday was my birthday, but this is more about N.O. and the Bush.
Desperation without a net. Has anyone else here been taking all this Katrina
aftermath viscerally and personally?

SS: Over the weekend I heard myself voicing anger at the victims --
able-bodied and able to take their families out of there, if only by leading
them out by the hand and walking until safe, though tired. How could they
just wait around for help? How passive and inert can you get? I saw many
people -- tall and broad-shouldered -- yelling at reporters about where was
the government, where was the help that was promised?

Only today did I break into tears when I thought of the thousands of people
who were left to their own meager devices. Only today did it hit me. I don't
know what brought me to tears. And then I read that the response to Bush's
lack of response was divided by party. Democrats largely thought Bush's
response was slow and shameful. Republicans thought it was just fine. That
really made me angry.

In the same way that Blacks thought O.J. Simpson was innocent, Republicans
thought Bush's response was more than adequate. That made me shudder and
want to vomit. Are Republicans really different than me in seeing what's
before their very eyes?

Stan Spiegel
reminded of the story of the guy who's wife caught him
in bed with another woman. He said to her: "Who do you
believe? Me or your own eyes?"

> Four hundred N.O. evacuees are scheduled to arrive in Fresno, CA, today.
We