[lit-ideas] Trimundanity

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:59:22 -0400 (EDT)

mundane: mid-15c., "of this world," from Old French mondain "of this world,
 worldly, earthly, secular;" also "pure, clean; noble, generous" (12c.),
from  Late Latin mundanus "belonging to the world" (as distinct from the
Church), in  classical Latin "a citizen of the world, cosmopolite," from mundus
"universe,  world," literally "clean, elegant"; used as a translation of
Greek khosmos (see  cosmos) in its Pythagorean sense of "the physical universe"
(the original sense  of the Greek word was "orderly arrangement"). Latin
mundus also was used of a  woman's "ornaments, dress," and is related to the
adjective mundus "clean,  elegant" (used of women's dress, etc.). Related:
Mundanely.

----

This should be my last post today!

Thanks to R. Paul for his commentary.

I think the whole thing started recently enough.

First, about subject line. "Trimundane" I found twoo Google hits:

(a)

Nimrod: A Discourse on Certain Passages of History and Fable - Volume 1 -
Pagina 323 - Risultati da Google Libri
Algernon Herbert - 1828 - History, Ancient

"But it appears to me that they were initiated in the trimundane
mysteries. The ascetic life of Simeon I. or Simeon in the Mandra,
was threefold ; he / first retired into..."

(b)

Full text of "Britannia after the Romans : being an attempt to  illustrate
_www.archive.org/stream/.../britanniaafterro00herbuoft_djvu.txt‎_
(http://www.archive.org/stream/.../britanniaafterro00herbuoft_djvu.txt‎)

"But the story is not ill-suited to the trimundane character
of Apollo Belenus and bears some analogy to the
tria virginis ora Dianae. It would be strange if a king ..."

and I think the term may apply to Popperianism.

The post that originated the recent discussion seems to be one by McEvoy.
He notes that he is willing to discuss Phatic's view (agreeing with Fellini)
 that 'a diverse language' can be "a pain in the neck" (not McEvoy's
words).

McEvoy introduces talk of 'experience' and notably, 'world 3' as per his
dictum:

"This 'other level of experience' is experience mediated by World 3 content
 - in the example of the Eskimos, World 3 content as to different types of
snow  that is expressed via language."

-----

The Wikipedia essay on Popper's three worlds is admirably brief. It  reads:

"Popper's world 3 contains the products of thought. This includes  abstract
objects such as scientific theories, stories, myths, tools, social
institutions, and works of art."

And then there are two sections.

One on:

The interaction of World 2 and World 3:

"The interaction of World 2 and World 3 is based on the theory that World 3
 is partially autonomous. For example, the development of scientific
theories in  World 3 leads to unintended consequences, in that problems and
contradictions  are discovered by World 2. Another example is that the process
of
learning  causes World 3 to change World 2."

The second on

The interaction of World 1 and World 3

"Contained in World 3 are also things as feats of engineering and art. The
World 3 objects, although extant in World 1, are embodied and given extra
meaning by World 3. For example, the intrinsic value of Hamlet as a World 3
object has many embodiments in World 1, the physical world. This idea would
be  something along the lines of a meta-object, or a form of a being."

I have expressed already my scepticism about breaches to "Do not multply
worlds beyond necessity."

Then there's the problem of OVERPOPULATING.

As per abstract below.

But in terms of the current discussion, I was pointing to the fact  that,
to say the least, the story of the causal efficency or agentivity of
allegedly 'world-3 items' in realms other than itself seem more complicated
than
the Wiki entry allows for. Or not. (And that perhaps McEvoy may help
clarify).
Cheers,

Speranza

---

From an online essay (by an author) on overpopulation:

"The first part of this paper is an attempt to offer an overview of
Popper's
World 3 in the light of philospher Rick Roderick's concerns about  the
growing excess of
information in our times (be they modern or  post-modern). The first part
of the paper
tries to place Roderick's important  words of caution from "The Self under
Siege" into
the Popperian cosmology and  to investigate the ways in which these views
can be seen
as fitting in  Popper's World 3 framework. The second part of the paper is
the extension
of  one of the most famous World 3 thought experiments. This extension
allows us to  test
some effects of the bearing on the human species as well as to explore  the
kind of fear
that it causes."

----

ONLINE REFERENCES provided by this online source:

1. Beller, S. (2006), "Information Overload and Health Decision-Making
Part 1", Saturday September 11,
2006: http://curinghealthcare.blogspot.com  (accessed on 14/02/2009).
2. Franck, G. (1999), "The Economy of Attention",  At: Telepolis:
http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5567/1.html  (accessed on 14/02/2009).
3. Champion, R. (2009), "Popper's Theory of  Objective Knowledge", At: The
Rathouse: The Philosophy
Site: http://www.the-rathouse.com/popobjectknow.html  (accessed on
06/02/2009).
4. Netcraft. (2009), January 2009 Web Server  Survey, Bath:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html  (accessed on
14/02/2009).
5. Popper, K. R. (1978), "Three Worlds by Karl  Popper", In: The Tanner
Lecture on Human Values.
(Delivered at The University  of Michigan on April 7, 1978): pp. 143-167.:
http://www.tannerlectures.utah.edu/lectures/documents/popper80.pdf
(accessed on 05/02/2009).
6. Udell, J. (2005), "Attention economics" (October  19, 2005):
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2005/10/19.html  (accessed on 14/02/2009).